Love unites. Fear separates. We are clearly seeing the results of the hate that we have sown in our country. We will never win by tearing each other apart. Let’s focus on finding solutions, honoring differences, and saying no to fear-mongering tactics.
These are lessons that we learn in kindergarten and yet somehow we have regressed from being responsible adults to spoiled children who play at government, religion and ecology like it were only a video game that when the sign flashes ‘game over’ we can just begin a new one.
Although we may blame the recent tragedy of the Tucson shooting as a bizarre occurrence perpetrated by a mentally ill gunman, we cannot help but question the culture that he grew up in and that glamorizes violence and conflict.
We have a choice that we each need to make as individuals. We have the power to say ‘no’ to violence. Here our a few ideas of how to reduce the violence in your own life.
- Say ‘no’ to violent video games.
- Say ‘no’ to watching violent movies and shows.
- Say ‘no’ by writing a letter to your senator and representative telling them your dislike of using negative rhetoric, fear tactics, and disparaging remarks of others opinions and beliefs regardless of where they stand on an issue.
- Say ‘no’ by refusing to engage in negative speech towards others.
- Say ‘no’ by focusing on solutions instead of entertaining fear.
- Say ‘no’ to assault weapons. The only purpose of an assault gun is to kill people.
- Say ‘no’ to talk radio that perpetuates fear and misinformation.
There is an old adage that we would do well to consider. Garbage in, garbage out. There is no way that we can fill our minds and emotions with negativity and expect that we will produce a beautiful loving society and healthy well-balanced children. These are changes that we can make in our own lives. Where there may be needed legislation regarding gun control, there are many things that we can do by just using our power of purchasing, writing a letter, and developing our own self-control.
I challenge us each one to be the change we want to see in the world. Just say ‘no’ to fear. Say ‘yes’ to love. Love unites. Fear separates. Let’s unite.